Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mapping with Google Course for Genealogy

Did you know that Google is running a free Mapping with Google course?

It is a self-paced course that includes videos, mini lessons and activities to apply what you've learned. None of it is graded, and you don't have to show anyone your work if you don't want to. However, there are class forums and Hangouts for a fuller learning experience.

I signed up for it and am through all of the published sections so far. Much of it I already knew how to do, but I did come up with a great idea to use Maps or Google Earth (I can't decide which) to illustrate the 100-year story of the Lenertz family line from Luxembourg to Los Angeles.

The Mapping with Google course ends June 24. I have no idea why Google limits the time frame for open courses, but it does. If this interests you, sign up soon so you'll have time to finish.

It's actually not necessary to do the whole course. You'll learn just from watching the videos.

You know how I say there are plenty of genealogy education opportunities that are outside the genealogy box? This is one of those examples. So get out there, sign up and start mapping.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the course! I use Google Maps a lot to plot addresses for genealogical purposes. I have maps for Chicago & its northern suburbs as well as Springfield, Illinois; Houston and Corpus Christi, Texas (and now Fredericksburg, too); German and Lithuaniam ancestors; Portland, Oregon (Ewald Pape's architectural works); Pensacola, Florida; and a few other places. It's a great tool, especially for seeing how buildings look today (if they still exist) with Street View.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip! I signed up for it after I read this post and I got my certificate for Google Maps and am now working on Google Earth. I could have finished the Maps section a bit sooner if I didn't get so carried away with my map project. I decided to do a whole thing about the Love family from Scotland to New Jersey. I knew a lot of the stuff in the course but not all of it, so I definitely learned more then I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete